Friday 26 November 2010

The dragons are frozen

Dear Landlord,
The stone dragons are frozen, as is everything else in the garden, including the non–existent chickens, including the waterfall, except for – why does the spring feed never freeze, not even at –20C like last winter? It’s a mere –5C just now, lunchtime. I filled loads of plastic 5-litre bottles last winter, just in case, and there was no need whatsoever.

a waterfall not falling, but the important bit is still dripping somewhere on the right
A dragon with frozen bamboo overcoat
Had to call off the gardener yesterday because there is absolutely no point in trying to sweep up leaves which are welded to the ground. We could have done it with a hammer and chisel but frankly  – 

Now I should warn you, there will be an invoice for Steve the Sainted Boiler Man.
And this time it’s Not My Fault!!

The boiler has suffered something well–known to owners of Condensing Oil Boilers. It is a Burner Lock–Out.  Apparently it happens when there is condensation in the pipe.  I know this because last winter I remember hearing lots about it and thought thank god mine hasn’t done that. I also know this because there’s a button on the panel saying Burner Lock–Out and it’s lit up bright red.

There is plenty of oil in the tank. (Well I don't blame you for asking....)

So the engineer’s on his way, this afternoon. Hallelujah!  I am frozen, after two days of wearing umpteen layers and fleeces, and the fan oven’s on with the door open. The cat is frozen. He needs lots of cuddles all of a sudden because my fleece is so inviting. I am grateful for the open fire (haha), and for a couple of plug–in radiators.  I am trying not to wonder how often this might happen this winter.
But I’m a glass–half–full girl, so keep your fingers crossed.

Update evening –

Like the tennis players on the telly, I have apparently served up a double fault. Neither of which are caused by condensation. Clever Clogs was completely wrong.
Not only was the pump knackered but the fire valve was stuffed.. Blowed if I know what that infers. Could the place have turned to cinders without a shut-off? Probably. And the old metal tank isn’t contributing to the cleanliness of the oil within it. Which seems to have caused the problems.  He drew some oil off and it had floaties and grit in it. Yuck. (Don’t suppose you fancy installing a new plastic tank, do you?)  

And guess what we found when we looked inside the boiler? The makings of a lovely nest, choice insulation complete with imported leaves. But since Ratty's disappeared (I suspect next door's terrier doing what he's good at, and mercifully I never saw it happen), it might be a mouse. I'll know if and when the nesting reappears.
not in situ - only the engineer got that treat. Personally I think the shreddings are too big for the mouse category. I speak from experience.

AND IT'S MY LUCKY DAY ! – he did have a spare pump in the van. Usually only carries one but used it yesterday for someone else, and just happened to have a second one! Something to do with ordering schedules.  Gosh.   
And by the way this is the engineer who brought the details of a good chiropractor to my notice back in the Spring.  We had got chatting about him and his wife getting treatment after a car crash. I had seriously smacked my head on the ice falling backwards in January (well you can blame that if you want to) and the xrays were hilarious. I looked like battlements from the side, vertebrae too far back and too far forward in turn, and from the front my neck looked like the letter C. It still does, really, but we’re getting there. It’s even better when I remember to do the exercises.  One clinic I’d been to was brilliant for my back but not my neck. I was more used to the treatment where they grip your head firmly and tell you to breathe out, and an enormous crack works wonders.  So that time the engineer had a double solution for me – oil boiler mended and the end of many very painful nights unable to sleep for the pain lying down - was only better when I stood up. I hadn't been able to find a chiropractor in my local town, but this one was close to my mother's flat, forty minutes away from here.
Amazing small world this is.

Heat!!!  Feels like a luxury. And the good thing is that these faults shouldn’t happen again. Well not this winter.

0 comments: