Wednesday 9 March 2011

Mystified

Spent yesterday afternoon at mother's and doing more shopping for her and 'Barbara'. No second telly yet, but that's tomorrow. No problem. Things are going along nicely. Mostly. Don't worry, it's OK. My lip is buttoned. I'm off my high horse now.

Getting home around 8-30 pm, checked for phone messages. My mother had only just left this one. You could hear the smile on her face.


"Hello! This is Mother."  (All normal, so far, including the giveaway ever-so-slightly slurred diction.)  "I've had a BRILLIANT idea :-  that we should all get together and take the children to Chester Zoo because, at this time of year, as you know, it is beautiful. So will you give it some thought and then give me a ring and tell me what you think about it. OK, love? The giraffes are worth it if nothing else !"  Distinctly heard giggling.  "OK, 'bye, love. "


I just can't figure out whose children it is, exactly, she's got in mind?

Has she hidden them in a kitchen cupboard for precisely this kind of opportunity?

Is she confusing me with some other daughter in a parallel universe? Is she, in fact, in a parallel universe?

Or would she just like to be taken to Chester Zoo? I think we might safely go for this option.

Especially since the only bona fide little ones we could round up are currently in Phnom Penh, Manila and Kathmandu. Tricky, that.

0 comments: