Sunday 31 October 2010

Hedgeblog #3

It’s Hallowe’en tonight, of course.  I thought Tiggs might like to share in the fun so I’ve made him a little card. It's on the radiator shelf by his cage. 

I think I’ve noticed something – when he turns around, it’s always to the left.  I wonder why.  Is it a hedgehog thing or a Tiggs thing ? 

I’ve always picked him up gently, without gloves, careful not to bruise underneath or clutch tightly, and this seems to suit him. His spines are still really soft.  He is quiet when being handled, and doesn’t flinch like he did at first when approached, provided he already knows you’re there.

As for your cleaning bucket, now that does worry me. I don’t trust the handle, and dread getting halfway across your spotless living room carpet and it parting company with the bucket.  So tomorrow I bring my own.
I wonder about when he’s out in the wild again. I bet he walks for a while and keeps thinking  “I’ll get to the cage wall in a minute”.

Was in the pantry, getting another tin of puppy food.  Looked down at your bucket, and the handle fell off.  Told you. It was only waiting until I was watching.

Tiggs has the same response this morning as last night – walk pointedly to the corner of the red crate and squeeze in a little nap while he’s waiting.  Food has been thoroughly trashed as usual, and there are enough clues to tell me all his bodily functions are in perfect working order. 

Tonight while I cleaned the cage floor, he explored his escape route from the red crate, standing on his hind legs. He was just about to start the ascent when I encouraged him down again – just seeing my hand appear was enough.  Saw how big his feet are getting, and his face is definitely larger.  I think two things will strike you when you get back – one is how much he will have grown, and the other is that Tiggs, the fish and the cats are all operating in a different time zone.
The only thing he didn’t get tonight was the Sudoku in the newspaper.  Cleaner’s perks, I thought, tearing it out.

0 comments: